Chushul and Hanle

Anand B

Hi Vargis,

I have read that the road from Pangong Tso to Hanle/Tso Moriri via Chushul is closed for tourists. Also stay at Hanle and even Nyoma is not allowed.

My original plan was:

Diskit -> Pangong Tso
Pangong Tso -> Hanle/Nyoma
Hanle/Nyoma -> Tso Moriri
Tso Moriri -> Keylong

If Chushul route is closed for tourists, then i have to circle back and go via Karu to both Tso Moriri and/or Hanle. How can i plan my stops in this case if i still want to cover Hanle?

Anand B

I have the exactly the same itenary planned for September and now in jeopardy because of road closure to hanle. Could you please advise. Appreciate all your help @Vargis Khan
It probably wont be opened. The route is closed since the start of the year and nobody is allowed past Merak, reported by someone who went there few days back. The only route you have to take is Pangong-Karu-Chumathang-Hanle.

I personally am going to skip Hanle as it adds almost 2 days extra by taking this route. I will just leg to it Tso Moriri from Pangong-Karu and spend another night there to enjoy rather than make it hectic and go to Hanle from there or before there.

sunny kasturia

No. After Chumathang you take a turn at Mahe bridge check post for Karzok (tso Moriri). Nyoma comes if you go straight from the check post. Check google maps.
My Bad... I am so awestuck on Hanle, that I was still cheking that route only .... I so wish I could cover Hanle, but what you said makes sense... Instead will spend extra night in Tso Moriri...

sunny kasturia

Hi... I just gave call to one of the homestay in Hanle and they said they are open, and you need inner line permit to reach there. They haven't heard that Nyoma check post is blocking tourist. Can we confirm this from somewhere? Any Leads?

Anand B

Hi... I just gave call to one of the homestay in Hanle and they said they are open, and you need inner line permit to reach there. They haven't heard that Nyoma check post is blocking tourist. Can we confirm this from somewhere? Any Leads?

You can go to Hanle with permit stamped. Nyoma check post is not blocking. The Block happens after Merak and before Chushul. So you can't go from Pangong to Chushul to Hanle. You have to go Pangong - Karu - Mahe bridge check post - Nyoma- Hanle.

I also spoke to Padma Homestay owner and sadly he is giving incorrect info on being allowed to come via Chushul. He told me the same.