From Manali to Leh

Discussion in 'Travel Agents / Tour Operators' started by Strahinja, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Strahinja

Strahinja New Member

Hello Vargis,

First of all huge thanks for creating such a informative page about travelling! It really helps a lot, I admire enthusiastic people like you!
    Anyway, I'm planning a trip to Ladakh in the beginning of August, we are group of 3 travellers and we would like to do motorbike trip from Manali to Leh, just the thing is we wouldn't like to take a tour package of 7+ days for it, we would like to do it in 2-3 days, just from Manali to Leh and later explore Leh by our own. Also, renting a motorbike in Manali and driving to Leh is probably excluded as we plan to fly back from Srinagar, so we wouldn't be able to return motorbikes to Manali.
    Do you know some tour agency that could provide such a short tour package taking only 2-3 days? Or it doesn't need to be a tour agency, it can be some individuals who would return motorbikes to Manali (in that case we wouldn't need organised accommodation, food etc. just someone who could we hand over bikes in Leh).
    Thank you very much! :)

2. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

Hi Strahinja - Thank you for your kind words. You mean you want to explore Manali to Leh, Ladakh and then fly out of Srinagar, all in 2-3 days? That is just impossible brother.

3. Strahinja

Strahinja New Member

Hi Vargis, thank you for your fast reply.

I was thinking from Manali to Leh in 2-3 days, later for Leh and it's surrounding we would travel around additional 10 days. I would like to travel from Manali to Leh on motorbike, but don't know what to do with motorbike after the trip as I would like to fly back from Srinagar. I wouldn't take a 7+ days tour, as it's just not thing for me.
    So, solution that came to my mind is short tour, just ride from Manali to Leh (2-3 days) or renting a motorbike in Manali and driving on my own and after reaching Leh handing over it to someone there who could return it to Manali. Do you think that option is possible?

4. Vargis Khan

You could do that but then they will charge you additional 10--15k just for not bringing the bikes back to Manali and leaving them at Leh.

5. Strahinja

Strahinja New Member

That's not a small fee. What do you think about option of custom small tour? Are there agencies or individuals willing to do such a thing?

6. Vargis Khan

More or less the same thing. Going on your will be better fun and cost effective. Travel agents in Leh are charging double the amount. Why not board a bus from Manali to Leh, then rent a bike in Leh for local sightseeing and then board a bus from Srinagar to Leh?

7. Strahinja

Strahinja New Member

Probably we will take a bus, but I wanted to explore and other possibilities, as I would really like to ride on my own as much as I can. Do you think should we book in advance bus from Manali to Leh, dates are between 4-6th August? Can in get fully packed?

8. Vargis Khan

Two options available. HRTC and HPTDC. HRTC buses are the ordinary ones and do not have any booking system. HPTDC Bus is the luxury one and can be booked. Depends on which one you board.

9. Strahinja

Strahinja New Member

Thank you Vargis for your helpful advises, I'll write down if I get some useful information about the topic.

10. Vargis Khan

Thanks Bhai. That would be of great help to other travelers.