Kaza to Manali in one day

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Varsha, Sep 3, 2019.

1. Varsha

Varsha New Member

Hello Vrghis

My husband and I are in our late fifties and would like to do the Spiti circuit from Shimla to Manali beginning 1st October. However, we would not want to stay at Chandratal. If so,
    1 How much time would it take to go from Kaza to Chandratal, stay for an hour and then continue to Manali? I read that it would take 5-6 hours from Kaza to Chandratal, and 6-8 hours from Chandratal to Manali. In this correct? Is it advisable to do this in one day?
    3. Even if possible, is it so beautiful that we should attempt it given the bad road condition or should we return to Shimla from Kaza?
    We shall be traveling in a four-wheeler.

2. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

Hello Varsha Ji,

Manali to Kaza via Chandratal is abut 10-11 hours at least so please start accordingly. Roads are definitely terrible and it will also involve a couple of kilometers of walk. But yes, the lake is indeed very beautiful and you should visit here if you can.

3. Varsha

Varsha New Member

Thank you Vargis.
    I know one cannot really compare two places but is Chandratal a must visit if one has been to Pangong Lake? Considering the difficulty level of the journey to Chandratal and our ages, we would want to go to Chandratal only if was at least as beautiful as Pangong :)
    Assuming the answer is yes, and if we can manage the time, does it make sense to start from Shimla, go from Kaza to Chandratal and back to Kaza in the same day to avoid the Batal-Manali route? We would then return via Shimla again.
    We would be reaching Chandratal around 6th of October.

4. Vargis Khan

It is hard to answer that question Varsha Ji. For me, yes it is a must visit place. You will anyways be on extremely bad roads between Manali and Kaza all day so adding another 30 kilometers to it don't sound like a big deal to me. Only catch is that the vehicle doesnt go all the way to the lake. So from the parking place to the lake and then back will be around 3 kilometers of walk and one hour. If you aren't too keen on doing that, skip the lake.

5. jitenderpathania

jitenderpathania Moderator Staff Member

Varsha Ji,

We cannot compare the two lakes.

Chandertal lake is quite smaller compared to Pangong lake. But it is the calm water of Chandertal nestled between beautiful hills with panoramic views that attract visitors.

Weather you want to go or not is your call, but given the chance I would have definitely gone.

Kaza - Chandertal - Kaza is doable in one day.

Cheers !!

6. Varsha

Varsha New Member

Thank you, Vargis :)

7. Varsha

Varsha New Member

Thank you, Jitender. We shall try to do the whole circuit but if it seems difficult, we will go back the Shimla route.

Any news on the state of the roads. Last year there was a lot of rock fall in September, wasn't there?

8. Vargis Khan

Its fine this year so far

9. John Inton

John Inton New Member

Namaste Varghis bhai, if cars are not allowed into Chandratal lake, would motorbikes be allowed? 3kms for a total of 6km is quite a walk for a 70yr old.

10. Vargis Khan

Hello John Bhai - No vehicles are allowed near the lake. The walk is not 6 kilometers but about 4 kms return at most.