Leh-Ladakh and/or Spiti in Aug-Sep 2020 help.

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Anand B, Feb 8, 2020.

Tags:
?

What to visit if you have to choose?

1. Leh-Ladakh

100.0%
  2. Spiti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anand B

Anand B New Member

Hi Vargis,

4 of us are planning to visit Leh-Ladakh starting in last week of August or 1st week of September 2020. Time-frame of 2-3 weeks. We will be coming from Raipur so 6-7 days is just driving to and from. Will not be an issue as all of us can drive.

Is it possible to do both Leh-Ladakh and Spiti? Initial google route shows we can come from Chandigarh to Manali. But reading your posts coming from Shimla is also an option?

What would be your suggestion of where to start and what should be our itinerary? Mainly want to drive around and see/photgraph the beautiful landscapes and lakes.

Regards.

2. Anand B

Anand B New Member

This is the initial plan reading your blogs and other ones. What do you think?

[​IMG]

3. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

Hi Anand, Your itinerary looks good except for,

1. Are you sure you can do Raipur to Shimla in 2 days?
    2. You will have to add a day of stay in Leh after you get there to arrange permits.

Rest of the plan looks good.

Anand B likes this.
  4. Anand B

Anand B New Member

Thanks Vargis. Reaching Shimla shouldn't be a problem as all 4 of us can drive.

For point 2, we reach leh in evening and stay the night. Then plan to get the permit in morning and proceed to Diskit. Can we do this or will have to spend another night in Leh?

Also do you think i can remove/shorten one of the destinations in the Spiti trip? In your blog you say Chitkul is similar toh Mudh village so is there a point staying at both?

6 nights in Chitkul, Kalpa, Nako, Mudh, Kaza and Chandratal. Is it too long for small distances or are there enough things to do. Like can i skip Chitkul and go straight to Kalpa or skip Nako and go straight to Mudh. Saves a day but only if we don't miss much. What do you think?

5. rajkumar. r

rajkumar. r Member

Dear Anand, reaching Leh in the evening and proceeding to Diskit the next day morning , I don't think it is advisable. Better you take some rest in Leh for one day and visit the nearby places. And regarding Chitkul , Varghis Bhai in many of his logs has mentioned it as a beautiful and worthy place to visit. We too had added Chitkul in our places to visit list because of his Narration about Chitkul. So Better add it in your list.

Anand B likes this.
  6. Anand B

Anand B New Member

Out trip is already quite long so don't want to waste a day. That's why asking if a day or two can be reduced from the itinerary without missing much.
    As Vargis bhai says on his blog, if i can get it arranged beforehand then i don't need to stay in Leh correct?

7. rajkumar. r

rajkumar. r Member

Understood. The oneday to be spent in leh is for the acclimatization and to avoid AMS. If it was not necessary you can adjust your plan accordingly. Regarding permit you can arrange them through your hotel ,before arriving in Leh. Just sent your ID's through whatsapp and they will arrange for your permits. We done the same through our hotel.

8. Anand B

Anand B New Member

I think acclimatization won't be an issue coming from Spiti. I have shortened a day on the Spiti circuit. Skipping Nako and straight to Mud Village. Will be a long one but Chitkul-Kalpa before will be a relaxed day followed by ones at Kaza and Chandratal. Will keep it as buffer if the permits don't work out and another night is needed in Leh.

[​IMG]

Reading about fuel pumps and calculating with my car's average I can get by with refueling diesel at Shimla, Kaza, Leh, Diskit, Tandi, Manali. The biggest risk being reaching Tandi after Sarchu as last refuel would have been at Diskit approx 750kms back. I read all dhabas and places carry black fuel but is it pure and not contaminated? Should i just take 20L worth of jerry-cans anyway?

9. Vargis Khan

Spending a day in Leh is strongly advised. Stay there, do some local sightseeing and get some rest.

If you must remove, then take of Kalpa from your list. There is nothing there except for the view of Kinnaur Kailash. Start early from Chitkul, drive to Kalpa, enjoy the view, take pictures, drive down to the highway and go straight to Nako.

Anand B likes this.
  10. Vargis Khan

Do this

Raipur to Jhansi
    Jhansi to Shimla
    Shimla to Chitkul
    Chitkul to Powari to Kalpa to Powari to Nako
    Nako to Mud
    Mud to Kaza
    Kaza to Chandratal
    Chandratal to Jispa
    Jispa to Leh
    Leh
    Leh to Hunder
    Hunder to Turtuk
    Turtuk to Spangmik
    Spangmik to Karzok
    Karzok to Pang
    Pang to Manali
    Manali to Chandigarh
    Chandigarh to Jhansi
    Jhansi to Raipur

Yes, carry 20 liters worth of Jerry Cans if you can manage to find space for them.

Anand B likes this.