leh ladakh by hired cars

kavs

Hi, we are planning a road trip from Delhi to Leh and Ladakh during mid-August/ September if pandemic condition permits. Is there any issue even now with rented self-drive cars in the valley?

Anand B

You will not be able to use outside rental car in Ladakh. You will have to rent one from Leh itself for Ladakh locations.

kavs

Thank you soo much Anand for your response. I want to understand one thing, If I have a rented car, I drive from Srinagar to Leh. Take a car from Leh for ladakh. Then later can I pick my car from Leh and go to Manali or they won't let the car pass through the highway?

This is extremely unfair for people who love to drive.

Last edited:

Anand B

Leh to Manali should not be an issue but i can't confirm this. Maybe someone with first hand experience or Vargis can confirm this. From what i read they have checkposts on roads to different Ladakh locations and if they suspect its a rental they don't allow.

Only if you have your own/family car can you self-drive. For rental/taxis you have to take it from Leh. Even Manali and Srinagar bikes/car rentals are not allowed.

If you are traveling in a self-drive taxi or by a motorcycle you rented at any other place than Leh; you can only use it to reach Leh. This vehicle will not be allowed for local sightseeing and you cannot take it to places like Nubra, Pangong, or Moriri.

For sightseeing, you will have to rent another local vehicle in Leh. There is no way around it and please do not take a chance. Locals here put up barricades at random places. If they stopped you somewhere, you will not be allowed to travel any further and sent back. There have been instances where even the rented vehicles were attacked and vandalized.

This rule applies to self-drive rentals, non-local taxis with drivers, and rented motorcycles. Even renting a vehicle from Manali, Kargil or Srinagar will not work. Similarly, vehicles rented from Ladakh cannot be used in Manali, Kargil, Srinagar, or Zanskar.

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Kavs - Yes, you will have to leave your car parked in Leh and rent a local taxi for sightseeing in Ladakh. There are no self-rentals available in Ladakh so it will come with the driver. For your return journey, you can pick your car from Leh and drive it to Manali, there is no problem with that.

kavs

Kavs - Yes, you will have to leave your car parked in Leh and rent a local taxi for sightseeing in Ladakh. There are no self-rentals available in Ladakh so it will come with the driver. For your return journey, you can pick your car from Leh and drive it to Manali, there is no problem with that.
I am really sorry to burden you with my worries but we are yet to find out a way to be in ladakh and drive to places. This has been on our wishlist forever and considering how uncertain lives have become in current times, we want to do this sooner! We have a personal car- Mercedes GLC which we were avoiding this far. Would you recommend us to take this Delhi-Ladakh trip in our car considering roads could be pretty bad there? In your experience, have you seen such cars doing this trip without mechanical troubles?

kavs

I am really sorry to burden you with my worries but we are yet to find out a way to be in ladakh and drive to places. This has been on our wishlist forever and considering how uncertain lives have become in current times, we want to do this sooner! We have a personal car- Mercedes GLC which we were avoiding this far. Would you recommend us to take this Delhi-Ladakh trip in our car considering roads could be pretty bad there? In your experience, have you seen such cars doing this trip without mechanical troubles?
we plan to cover Leh– Sham Valley & Alchi–Pangong – Nubra Valley–Tsomoriri

TravTel

I would also request for contacts of good Guest Houses or 3star hotels in Leh , Pangong Tso , Nubra Valley and Keylong