Day 9: Leh -Kargil. Stay at Kargil
Day 10: Stay at Kargil
Day 11. Kargil-Sonamarg. Stay at Sonamarg
Day 12. Sonamarg-Gulmarg-Srinagar. Stay at Srinagar
Day 13. Srinagar-Pahalgam. Stay at Srinagar
Day 14. Visit around Srinagar
Day 15: First half - visit around Sringar and take evening flight back

Option 2:

Everything is same with below change (but I think Nimmu-Padum is not yet connected):
Day 8: Tso Moriri-Padum via Nimmu. Stay at Padum
Day 9: Stay at Padum
Day 10: Padum-Kargil. Stay at Kargil

Notes:
1. This is a high level plan and I have not yet planned what I could do at all the places I will stop at.
2. This will be my first visit to Leh/Kashmir and so any recommendations to things to do / places to visit will help.
3. I will be travelling with family and a senior
4. It will be great if someone can give me a complete package with drive pickup at Leh Airport till drop at Srinagar Airport including hotel bookings.

Please let me know:
1. If the Itinerary sounds ok or if any changes are recommended
2. How cold is at Turtuk for a 10 yr kid. We will be having one night at Leh before that.
3. Do we need to take any ILP at Leh. I heard there were some changes on this
4. I hope I can manage the entire trip in one vehicle and not change. What is the vehicle suggested.
5. Hotel recommendations will be great. We are looking for at least 3 star or better where available. I know in remote places we cannot get, but whatever best is available in the remote areas
6. Anything I must know as first time traveler

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
There is really nothing to do at Pangong if you stay there an entire day. My recommendation is that you skip that and use that one day to visit Gulmarg from Srinagar.

You can talk to Kunal @ 9910402252 to plan your trip and provide a complete package. It will be cold but as long as you are properly covered and prepared, it shouldn't be a problem. A permit may be required for Hanle but it really depends on how the situation will be next year. Innova or Scorpio will be good for the trip.

J

joymowar

There is really nothing to do at Pangong if you stay there an entire day. My recommendation is that you skip that and use that one day to visit Gulmarg from Srinagar.

You can talk to Kunal @ 9910402252 to plan your trip and provide a complete package. It will be cold but as long as you are properly covered and prepared, it shouldn't be a problem. A permit may be required for Hanle but it really depends on how the situation will be next year. Innova or Scorpio will be good for the trip.
Sure Vargis.
I was planning on the following now:
Day 1: Arrive at Leh Airport. Visit around Leh
Day 2: Stay at Leh
Day 3: Leh - Hunder. Stay at Hunder
Day4: Hunder-Pangong Tso. Stay at Pangong Tso
Day 5: Pangong Tso-Alchi. Stay at Alchi
Day 6: Alchi-Kargil-Panikhar (Zanskar). Stay at Panikhar
Day 7: Panikhar-Rangdum-Sani Monastery-Panikhar. Stay at Panikhar
Day 8: Panikhar-Kargil-Sonamarg. Stay at Sonamarg
Day 9: Sonamarg-Gulmarg. Stay at Gulmarg
Day 10: Stay at Gulmarg
Day 11. Gulmarg-Pahalgam. Stay at Pahalgam
Day 12. Stay at Pahalgam
Day 13. Pahalgam-Srinagar. Stay at Srinagar
Day 14. Stay at Srinagar
Day 15: First half - visit around Srinagar and take evening flight back

A few questions:
1. Is June a rainy season in Leh, and will it affect travel to Pangong Tso. Someone said that it is nor the right time to visit as it will be cloudy.
2. Will it be ok to do Leh first and then Srinagar....people have advised that it is not a good idea from an acclimatization perspective.
3. How is the Road condition from Kargil to Padum
4. One basic question....since I will be travelling with a family (includes 10 yr old child), what are the rest room facilities on the long drives.....are there normally restaurants en route...

Thank you !!

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Sure Vargis.
I was planning on the following now:
Day 1: Arrive at Leh Airport. Visit around Leh
Day 2: Stay at Leh
Day 3: Leh - Hunder. Stay at Hunder
Day4: Hunder-Pangong Tso. Stay at Pangong Tso
Day 5: Pangong Tso-Alchi. Stay at Alchi
Day 6: Alchi-Kargil-Panikhar (Zanskar). Stay at Panikhar
Day 7: Panikhar-Rangdum-Sani Monastery-Panikhar. Stay at Panikhar
Day 8: Panikhar-Kargil-Sonamarg. Stay at Sonamarg
Day 9: Sonamarg-Gulmarg. Stay at Gulmarg
Day 10: Stay at Gulmarg
Day 11. Gulmarg-Pahalgam. Stay at Pahalgam
Day 12. Stay at Pahalgam
Day 13. Pahalgam-Srinagar. Stay at Srinagar
Day 14. Stay at Srinagar
Day 15: First half - visit around Srinagar and take evening flight back

A few questions:
1. Is June a rainy season in Leh, and will it affect travel to Pangong Tso. Someone said that it is nor the right time to visit as it will be cloudy.
2. Will it be ok to do Leh first and then Srinagar....people have advised that it is not a good idea from an acclimatization perspective.
3. How is the Road condition from Kargil to Padum
4. One basic question....since I will be travelling with a family (includes 10 yr old child), what are the rest room facilities on the long drives.....are there normally restaurants en route...

Thank you !!

Hi Joy - First of all, sorry about deleting your ID by mistake. I was removing some spam posts and ended up clicking on your ID as well to delete. Sorry about that brother. Please create the ID again.

1. No not really, won't make any difference.
2. AMS will be a bit of a problem on Day 1 and 2 if you reach Leh by flight. But a lot of people do it. Take rest on Day 1, do not exert yourself and you should be Ok. If you do not feel Ok on Day 2, extend your stay and remain in Leh only until you acclimatize properly.
3. First 40 kilometers is good and a dirt road all the way to Padum after that. They are widening the road right now. Until Padum, the read bad stretch is about 25 kms.
4. You will find rest rooms at Dhabas and restaurants.

joymowar

Hi Joy - First of all, sorry about deleting your ID by mistake. I was removing some spam posts and ended up clicking on your ID as well to delete. Sorry about that brother. Please create the ID again.

1. No not really, won't make any difference.
2. AMS will be a bit of a problem on Day 1 and 2 if you reach Leh by flight. But a lot of people do it. Take rest on Day 1, do not exert yourself and you should be Ok. If you do not feel Ok on Day 2, extend your stay and remain in Leh only until you acclimatize properly.
3. First 40 kilometers is good and a dirt road all the way to Padum after that. They are widening the road right now. Until Padum, the read bad stretch is about 25 kms.
4. You will find rest rooms at Dhabas and restaurants.
Np Vargis, I re-created my ID.

Thank you for the responses !!

joymowar

Hello Guys,
If you were to choose between the following:
Option 1:
2 Nights at Hunder, 0 nights at Sonamarg (just passing)
Option 2:
1 night Hunder, 1 night Sonamarg

what would it be.

Thank you !!

joymowar

Please suggest the best (most comfortable) accommodation to stay in Pangong Tso as I have kid (10 yr old) and a senior.
I could stay at the accommodation available at Pangong Tso or
at Tangtse and drive to the lake the morning (I suppose 1 hr drive).

Thank you !!

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Please suggest the best (most comfortable) accommodation to stay in Pangong Tso as I have kid (10 yr old) and a senior.
I could stay at the accommodation available at Pangong Tso or
at Tangtse and drive to the lake the morning (I suppose 1 hr drive).

Thank you !!

Nights at Pangong will get very cold but the tent sites are pretty windproof and warm. If you want to stay indoors though, then you can either stay at Tangtse or go to Merak and stay in a homestay. There is one called Peaceful Homestay in Merak that I have stayed in a couple of times and it's good.