Need help - getting conflicting advice riding permits in ladakh and rental issues

D

Dam2468

Firstly - I love thissite - extremely informative and your maps are the best i've found!

I have a couple of questions that i'm struggling with and hoping anyone out there can advise me -

I've read a few blogs that say that you can't ride a manali-hired bike around leh and that there was some nasty incidents last year about this??

I'm discussing hiring a himalayan from manali and going through to Srinigar through leh and want to ride some of the valleys around leh. The business has advised that i can contact my hotel in leh and they can organise a permit for me. They also advised that manali is best for the himalayan as they have 2018 models and leh mostly have the previous/older models? Do you need to have a minimum 4 riders to get a permit to ride through leh and onto srinigar? and one more if i may - I can only find one actual dealer website in leh (if i wanted to hire from leh), being 'Ladakh bike rental'. The rest are all travel companies - do you know of any actual shop's websites that i can make inquiries through?
Really hoping someone can help out and would appreciate your time if you have it!

Cheers. Dave

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member

Firstly - I love thissite - extremely informative and your maps are the best i've found!

I have a couple of questions that i'm struggling with and hoping anyone out there can advise me -

I've read a few blogs that say that you can't ride a manali-hired bike around leh and that there was some nasty incidents last year about this??

I'm discussing hiring a himalayan from manali and going through to Srinigar through leh and want to ride some of the valleys around leh. The business has advised that i can contact my hotel in leh and they can organise a permit for me. They also advised that manali is best for the himalayan as they have 2018 models and leh mostly have the previous/older models? Do you need to have a minimum 4 riders to get a permit to ride through leh and onto srinigar? and one more if i may - I can only find one actual dealer website in leh (if i wanted to hire from leh), being 'Ladakh bike rental'. The rest are all travel companies - do you know of any actual shop's websites that i can make inquiries through?
Really hoping someone can help out and would appreciate your time if you have it!

Cheers. Dave

Thanks Dave.

1. Any bike hired outside of Ladakh can only be used to reach Leh city. Once you get there, you will have to rent another bike from Leh city to explore the areas in Ladakh. The bike that you arrived by then would have to be left parked at the hotel..
2. For permits, you will have to work with a registered travel agent in Leh so no, please do not rely on a hotel to arrange your permits. (I am assuming you are a foreign national and not an Indian, correct?)
3. No permit is needed for riding to Ladakh, Srinagar or Manali. You need the permit to travel to the inner areas of Ladakh only.

Let me know if you have any other questions.