Pangong Hanle Tso Moriri road enquiry

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Urmi, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Urmi

Urmi New Member

Hi Varghis Sir,
    After thorough reading of your blog posts I have decided on the following itinerary. Have a few questions. Please can you help? I will be travelling with my senior citizen parents both 65, who are fit otherwise, no bp heart problems etc. Hence asking for help with the final plan. We are going on the last week of September. Want to visit Nubra, Pangong, Hanle and Tso Moriri. Will be renting car, Innova or Xylo.

Day 1: reach Leh via flight. Rest.
    Day 2: rest. Maybe market in the evening, get permits.
    Day 3: To Nubra. Stay at Hunder.
    Day 4: stay at Hunder. (not doing Turtuk)
    Day 5: To Pangong Tso via Agham Shyok.
    Stay at Tangste/ Merak?
    Day 6: to Hanle via Chusul(?) Or Erath road (?). Stay at Hanle.
    Day 7: to Tso Moriri. Stay at Karzok
    Day 8: return to Leh
    Day 9: fly back.

Queries:
    1. From Pangong Tso, should we stay at Merak (don't want to stay at Spangmik) and continue to Chusul route next day? Or stay at Tangste and take the Erath route?
    2. Will it be difficult to stay at Merak? We will be choosing the homestay there. Apart from the cold, will AMS be an issue?
    3. If we drop Hanle and head to Tso Moriri, how long will it take from Tangste? Is it better to return to Leh or can we stay somewhere in between? Any decent places?

Please please help. Thank you in advance, also for all the great info posted.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  2. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

Hi Urmi - Your itinerary is good.

1. Stay at Merak, better scenery.
    2. Won't be that difficult after you have spent so many days in Ladakh already.
    3. It is doable but I would recommend covering Hanle. Stick to your plan, Hanle, Karzok, Leh, it better this way.

3. Vargis Khan

On Day 2, you can go towards Lamayuru and see Magnetic Hill etc

4. Urmi

Urmi New Member

Hi Sir, thank you so much for the reply. I was having second thoughts because of the Man Merak Chusul route... the road is a dirt track na?
    Is there any decent staying options in the Leh Manali route, say at Upshi or Karu, so we can add one day and break the journey (Maybe do Hanle without the parents next time?), Then proceed to Tso Moriri?

5. Vargis Khan

It is a dirt track but doable if you are in an SUV.
    Yes there are guest houses at Karu where you can stay.

6. Urmi

Urmi New Member

Thanks you so very much again.
    Will update once the trip is complete.

7. Vargis Khan

You are welcome !!! :)

Will wait to hear about how your trip went.

8. Surya

Surya Active Member Staff Member

Varghis Bhai i tottaly agree wid u to stay in merek. But the options to stay there are very less. And yes it's too good view from there and there is no proper road after spagnik.