Pune to Leh Ladakh by road itinerary - May 2020

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by Sudhanshu Umalkar, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Sudhanshu Umalkar

Sudhanshu Umalkar New Member

Though it's yet to be finalised, but just thinking of visiting Leh/Ladakh in the month of May this year by car. I would be traveling from Pune, alone or may be whoever joins from family / friend circle. I do not intend to complete the circuit through Rohtang pass / Manali, just the places around Leh / Ladakh.

The reason for selecting the month of May (2nd half) is in case my kids want to join me, then it's a holiday time for them. Also, I read that the Srinagar - Leh highway usually opens up by May though I understand that some of the places may not be accessible completely until June.

In one of the other threads, Vargis bhai recommended visiting this part in 1st week of June rather than in the month of May. The timing and this trip is all tentative for me for the moment and I am just keeping options open. Roughly this is what I have in mind:

1. Pune to Leh (around 4 days)
    2. Leh and surrounding places (around 4-5 days)
    3. Leh to Pune (around 4 days)
    4. Buffer (2-3 days)

I am going through different blogs and travelogues trying to gather information about the places and routes around Leh / Ladakh; any inputs / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

Hi Sudhanshu - I highly doubt that you will be able to manage Pune to Leh in 4 days and then back in 4 days. Ideally it is a 6 days journey.

3. Sudhanshu Umalkar

Oh . that's why I said that this trip is just tentative, completely depends on the leaves that I might get. I calculated based on 2 weeks leave, probably I might need more if I have to make this trip. Or else get people who can drive so we take less halts. Even if we can make Pune-Leh and back in 10 days, still I can hope to get 4-5 days to spend in Leh/Ladakh region. Let's see, still got few months.

4. Sudhanshu Umalkar

Also, any reason you suggested to visit in June 1st week rather than in May? Wouldn't second half of May be idle to visit Leh/Ladakh regions, at least the few major places / passes? Please advise. Thanks.

5. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

I only said it because of Manali Leh route but if you do not intend to cover it, May is OK as well.

6. Sudhanshu Umalkar

Thanks, Yes, thinking of only covering Leh side this time due to time constraints.

7. SANTOSH G

SANTOSH G New Member

Hi
    Did the same trip in May-June 2018. It took me 18 days. Entered via Srinagar and returned via Manali.
    Regards

8. Sudhanshu Umalkar

Can you please share the details, like link to your travelogue, etc.? Thanks

9. SANTOSH G

SANTOSH G New Member

Hi
    I have not written any travelogue. If you need any information I will be happy to share it with you.
    Regards

10. Ashish Joshi

Ashish Joshi New Member

Hi Sudhanshu, this is Ashish from Pune. I was curious to know if you think it may be better to fly to Chandigarh and rent a Zoomcar or similar from there, rather than driving all the way from Pune? What are your thoughts?