SAJAL SHETH

Day 18 = Theog to Ambala.

Total 200 Kms

Ride time 9:00AM to 4:00 PM.

Today was last day of ride in mountains. I plan to reach Ambala today. I could easily reach Delhi today, but as I had booked my return train ticket of 21st September, 2019. So I need not hurry. I had one day reserved in my plan. Yesterday night I had parked my bike near CCTV camera view. This hotel has separate parking area for two and four wheelers inside boundary wall. But I kept my bike near restaurant only.

I had packed my bag in such a way that I could remove my warm cloths inside bag, as I come down to plains and wear cloths suitable for plains. I did not wear thermals today.

I woke up at 7.15AM and this was the view from my room’s balcony.

That road near mountain is Shimla – Solan bypass road. But I was told that this road in not in good condition. And I have time also. So I decided to ride via Shimla only. I rang up my wife and informed her about my change of ride plan. This is view of that bypass road from my hotel.

Those bypass road passes through these mountains. Route must be scenic one.

Mr. Suresh Sharma, owner of Hotel Care Haat has invited me to see his apple garden and his house. This is the road to his house. Road is surround by apple trees. But all the apples were plucked and sold.

Some of the flowers in his garden…

SAJAL SHETH

I could hear sound of lots of birds there.
I met his mother and elder brother near his house. Then I came back and got ready after packing my luggage.
This is Mr Sharma’s house along with Theog Village Mountains.

While I was wearing shoes, one bird came at my room’s balcony.

It was forest pigeon perhaps.

SAJAL SHETH

It might be spotted dove also.

This was my breakfast for the day.

I started riding towards Shimla at 9.00AM.
Road was in good condition.

I saw a funny named eatery on the way near Theog.

SAJAL SHETH

After that I took some breaks for drinking water and it took more than one hour to cross busy and tourist traffic loaded roads of Shimla. This City has grown leaps and bounds. You need to ride 35 kms in busy roads to cross Shimla City now.

I took sugarcane juice break after crossing Shimla at 11.10AM.

After that I crossed Solan. There is a new four lane road. Part of it is under construction.

At 1.30PM, I took a break near Parwanoo. I saw a resort on the Top of hill opposite highway.

View of road behind me.

Now only a few mountains were left before reaching plains.

It was already lunch time and the road ahead was good one. I decided to have lunch at Chandigarh.

And that hill top resort is Timber Trail Resort near Parwanoo. You need to use this cable car to reach it. As per locals there the rent per night is Rs.5000 there.

SAJAL SHETH

After that I reached plain and at one petrol pump I filled up just 4 ltr petrol calculating the distance upto New Delhi Railway Parcel office in mind. Rate of petrol is cheaper in Ambala compared to other nearby places. I also changed my shift suitable for heat condition in plains.

Suddenly I thought of having lunch at McDonald’s Restaurant at Chandigarh. I had had food in McDonald’s in March, 2018 with my daughter at Jaipur Ajmer Highway during my ride to NEHAsthan. We don’t have any McDonald’s in Odisha.

My internet on mobile was not working properly. So I kept on looking at road side for McDonald’s board. While riding on Zirakpur fly over, I saw one on my right inside DownTown Square Mall. But I need to ride wrong side to reach it. So I passed it and kept on riding towards Ambala. I had heard that there are 3 McDonald’s in Chandigarh.

After riding 4 kms, suddenly I saw another one on my right at NH.
I stopped and went there. It was 3:00PM then.

I was confused what to order. So I ordered same items which I ordered last year with my daughter at Jaipur.

And a picture of Mr. Ronald McDonald clown, which is Mascot of this fast food chains.

After that I reached my friend Panshul Mehta of Ambala City. He is owner of www.seekinghimalayas.com . He organizes many treks and adventure activities.

This is my picture with my bike at his home.

This was ride map for the day.

Coming up…NEXT…Ambala to New Delhi Railway Parcel office, Process and procedure of carrying bike in train.

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
@Vargis Khan sir.... what was that terrible thing which happened with you at Chanshal Pass?
Sajal Sir it was when I had just bought my Thar, brand new and Chanshal Pass was the first trip I did in it (except for a couple of weekend drives to Dhanaulti and Lansdowne). I was still getting to know the car and trust me, it is tons different than any other car that I had driven or owned so far. I went to Chanshal Pass with a friend and just when we started to drive back, I stopped to take a picture. I parked the car on a slope, pulled the handbrake, and engaged the gear as well. I clicked a few pictures and then went back in. My stupidity was that I disengaged the gear and handbrake without restarting the car and it started rolling down.

No matter how much I tried, I could not press the brake pedal. It just went so hard without the engine running. Right in front of us a hairpin bend to my right (the first hairpin bend when you start on your way back from the top). At the last minute, when the brake did not work, I just turned the car to the right, into the stones, rocks, and the mountain slope. The right side of the tire went on some rock and it was a miracle that the car did not topple and stopped right there.

I knew that the pedal brake of the car will be a little hard if the engine was dead but I did not expect it to be so hard in Thar that you will have to literally stand on it to press... LOL

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
After that I reached plain and at one petrol pump I filled up just 4 ltr petrol calculating the distance upto New Delhi Railway Parcel office in mind. Rate of petrol is cheaper in Ambala compared to other nearby places. I also changed my shift suitable for heat condition in plains.

Suddenly I thought of having lunch at McDonald’s Restaurant at Chandigarh. I had had food in McDonald’s in March, 2018 with my daughter at Jaipur Ajmer Highway during my ride to NEHAsthan. We don’t have any McDonald’s in Odisha.

My internet on mobile was not working properly. So I kept on looking at road side for McDonald’s board. While riding on Zirakpur fly over, I saw one on my right inside DownTown Square Mall. But I need to ride wrong side to reach it. So I passed it and kept on riding towards Ambala. I had heard that there are 3 McDonald’s in Chandigarh.

After riding 4 kms, suddenly I saw another one on my right at NH.
I stopped and went there. It was 3:00PM then.

I was confused what to order. So I ordered same items which I ordered last year with my daughter at Jaipur.

And a picture of Mr. Ronald McDonald clown, which is Mascot of this fast food chains.

After that I reached my friend Panshul Mehta of Ambala City. He is owner of www.seekinghimalayas.com . He organizes many treks and adventure activities.

This is my picture with my bike at his home.

This was ride map for the day.

Coming up…NEXT…Ambala to New Delhi Railway Parcel office, Process and procedure of carrying bike in train.

A legendary ride comes to an end. I am going to read it again Sir after you finish.

SAJAL SHETH

Sajal Sir it was when I had just bought my Thar, brand new and Chanshal Pass was the first trip I did in it (except for a couple of weekend drives to Dhanaulti and Lansdowne). I was still getting to know the car and trust me, it is tons different than any other car that I had driven or owned so far. I went to Chanshal Pass with a friend and just when we started to drive back, I stopped to take a picture. I parked the car on a slope, pulled the handbrake, and engaged the gear as well. I clicked a few pictures and then went back in. My stupidity was that I disengaged the gear and handbrake without restarting the car and it started rolling down.

No matter how much I tried, I could not press the brake pedal. It just went so hard without the engine running. Right in front of us a hairpin bend to my right (the first hairpin bend when you start on your way back from the top). At the last minute, when the brake did not work, I just turned the car to the right, into the stones, rocks, and the mountain slope. The right side of the tire went on some rock and it was a miracle that the car did not topple and stopped right there.

I knew that the pedal brake of the car will be a little hard if the engine was dead but I did not expect it to be so hard in Thar that you will have to literally stand on it to press... LOL
@Vargis Khan sir....what a scary incidence !
Does Thar have power brakes ?
My Tata Tiago car 's brakes never works properly without engine start. So on the downhill I keep my engine on.
Where as in my bikem, during down hillI, I stop my engine.

SAJAL SHETH

21.9.2019 & 22.9.2019

Day 19 = Ambala to New Delhi & via train to Cuttack,

(Including PROCEDURE to Carry Your Bike in Train)

Total 219 Kms + 30 Kms

Ride time 7:00AM to 12:30 PM.

Today was last day of my ride. My train was at 5PM from New Delhi but I had to load my bike as luggage at Parcel Office at New Delhi Railway Station. So I planned to reach parcel office by noon. I had done same during my Ladakh ride in 2014 also.
I was ready to ride at 7AM.
There are many options for breakfast en route. I stopped at Oasis Fast Foods at Karnal for breakfast.

This was my breakfast for the day.

I topped up petrol of Rs.50 only as I will need to empty my bike’s tank at Station.
I reached Parcel office at 11.50AM. Laxmi Narayan and Pradeep Kumar are two genuine packers outside New Delhi Railway Station Parcel Office. On 4th September I had kept my packing materials with them, when I reached at Delhi from Bhubaneswar in train. They remembered me also. They have everything ready including pipe to empty your fuel tank.

I removed my mirrors and kept shoes, helmet, riding jacket, guard etc inside foldable nylon bag. They charged Rs.200 for packing my bike.

Now I have got three luggages to carry in train. After packing I took my bike to marker person inside.