Suggestions on Itinerary

Amit Chawla

Dear Varghis Bhai,

Came across this treasure trove while researching for our first trip to Leh. I will be traveling with my sister and nephew from July 24 to July 31. Have some questions to get your perspective.

1. Is the itinerary below the most optimum for our 7 nights 8 days trip or would you recommend any changes to get the most out of this trip? I have read that Pangong to Tso Moriri is quite long so as such would you say that we come back from Panamik to Leh on Day 5 and leave for Tso Moriri on Day 6 from Leh?
Day 1- Arrive in Leh
Day 2- Sham valley
Day 3- Leh to Nubra Valley (Diskit, Hunder)
Day 4- Diskit to Turtuk to Panamik
Day 5- Panamik to Pangong via Shyok
Day 6- Pangong to Tso Moriri
Day 7- Tso Moriri to Leh via Tso Kar
Day 8- Return

2. We already know where we are going to stay upon our arrival in Leh. Do you have recommendations for clean homestays in Diskit or Hunder (night 3), Panamik (night 4), Pangong (night 5), Tso Moriri (night 6)?

3. I read reference of Mr Nasir in your blog as reliable taxi service provider. For Class A or B taxis for this entire trip, how much should we budget for?

4. Weather wise it appears this period will be around mid 20s so as such typical summer clothing would suffice? Am asking this to be sure if early mornings (considering we will have to leave early every day) or late evenings are chilly.

5. I have read mixed feedback about the permit requirements. Is that still required for which days would we need that?

Thanks in advance for indulging me

Regards..Amit

Amit Chawla

also, would you say its better to do
  • Turtuk on Day 3 (start early from Leh..how early?) and come back to stay overnight at Diskit?
  • Then on day 4, go to Panamik and come back to Leh to sleep overnight..while doing this, would we have time to do Warshi? I am thinking about this option only because of what I've read up on your blog that Shyok road is not good so it might not be best to visit Pangong Tso from Panamik and we should do it from Leh instead?
  • On day 5, shall we plan on returning from Pangong Tso to Leh as what you've recommended in one of your itinerary's or stay overnight at Pangong and move to Tso Moriri from there? I can see doing the latter is about 11-12 hours of drive..if anything, what would we save by returning to Leh and going to Tso Moriri from there?
  • As a totally different option (inspired by itinerary 4 from your list!), would you recommend saving one day from Nubra valley and spending that in Hanle instead?
Thank you so much for your time in advance

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Dear Varghis Bhai,

Came across this treasure trove while researching for our first trip to Leh. I will be traveling with my sister and nephew from July 24 to July 31. Have some questions to get your perspective.

1. Is the itinerary below the most optimum for our 7 nights 8 days trip or would you recommend any changes to get the most out of this trip? I have read that Pangong to Tso Moriri is quite long so as such would you say that we come back from Panamik to Leh on Day 5 and leave for Tso Moriri on Day 6 from Leh?
Day 1- Arrive in Leh
Day 2- Sham valley
Day 3- Leh to Nubra Valley (Diskit, Hunder)
Day 4- Diskit to Turtuk to Panamik
Day 5- Panamik to Pangong via Shyok
Day 6- Pangong to Tso Moriri
Day 7- Tso Moriri to Leh via Tso Kar
Day 8- Return

2. We already know where we are going to stay upon our arrival in Leh. Do you have recommendations for clean homestays in Diskit or Hunder (night 3), Panamik (night 4), Pangong (night 5), Tso Moriri (night 6)?

3. I read reference of Mr Nasir in your blog as reliable taxi service provider. For Class A or B taxis for this entire trip, how much should we budget for?

4. Weather wise it appears this period will be around mid 20s so as such typical summer clothing would suffice? Am asking this to be sure if early mornings (considering we will have to leave early every day) or late evenings are chilly.

5. I have read mixed feedback about the permit requirements. Is that still required for which days would we need that?

Thanks in advance for indulging me

Regards..Amit
also, would you say its better to do
  • Turtuk on Day 3 (start early from Leh..how early?) and come back to stay overnight at Diskit?
  • Then on day 4, go to Panamik and come back to Leh to sleep overnight..while doing this, would we have time to do Warshi? I am thinking about this option only because of what I've read up on your blog that Shyok road is not good so it might not be best to visit Pangong Tso from Panamik and we should do it from Leh instead?
  • On day 5, shall we plan on returning from Pangong Tso to Leh as what you've recommended in one of your itinerary's or stay overnight at Pangong and move to Tso Moriri from there? I can see doing the latter is about 11-12 hours of drive..if anything, what would we save by returning to Leh and going to Tso Moriri from there?
  • As a totally different option (inspired by itinerary 4 from your list!), would you recommend saving one day from Nubra valley and spending that in Hanle instead?
Thank you so much for your time in advance

Hello Amit Bhai,

1. Yes the itinerary looks good. This will you will make the most of your time in Ladakh and explore maximum. But just make sure that you get an early morning start from Pangong on Day 6, possibly by first light of the day.

2. I am sorry but I do not really have any recommendations for hotels.

3. Nasir runs an Innova of his own. Call him, give my reference and he will provide you the best rates. He can also recommend hotels in Nubra. There is a huge tourist rush this year in Ladkah. Taxis are just not available and even hotels too. So there really isn't much scope in terms of negotiationg the prices down anywhere.

4. Yes but ensure that you are carrying a heavy windproof warm jacket and some light woolens to survive the evenings and morning. Days will be moderately warm.

5. Yes you will still need Inner line permit.

6. Let to Turtuk and back to Diskit may be a bit too long.

7. Shyok road is fine now. It was terrible a couple of years ago but is a smooth run all the way now. No need to come back to Leh, go straight to Pangong.

8. I will recommend that, Yes. It will make the journey a little easier. Both Turtuk and Hanle are beautiful enough but adding Hanle here and skipping Turtuk would make more sense.

Amit Chawla

Hello Amit Bhai,

1. Yes the itinerary looks good. This will you will make the most of your time in Ladakh and explore maximum. But just make sure that you get an early morning start from Pangong on Day 6, possibly by first light of the day.

2. I am sorry but I do not really have any recommendations for hotels.

3. Nasir runs an Innova of his own. Call him, give my reference and he will provide you the best rates. He can also recommend hotels in Nubra. There is a huge tourist rush this year in Ladkah. Taxis are just not available and even hotels too. So there really isn't much scope in terms of negotiationg the prices down anywhere.

4. Yes but ensure that you are carrying a heavy windproof warm jacket and some light woolens to survive the evenings and morning. Days will be moderately warm.

5. Yes you will still need Inner line permit.

6. Let to Turtuk and back to Diskit may be a bit too long.

7. Shyok road is fine now. It was terrible a couple of years ago but is a smooth run all the way now. No need to come back to Leh, go straight to Pangong.

8. I will recommend that, Yes. It will make the journey a little easier. Both Turtuk and Hanle are beautiful enough but adding Hanle here and skipping Turtuk would make more sense.
Thanks a lot Vargis Bhai. So in this case, what do you suggest for the following ways:
Day 3 for Nubra Valley. In the order of priority and logistics, how would you rate the following : 1. Diskit, Hunder (skipping Turtuk based on your advise) or 2. Panamik, Warshi. Based on your map, i think we will have to choose between either sides. Is either option 1 or 2 realistically achievable? Should we plan on leaving Leh at 6 on this day or sooner?
Day 4 Nubra to Pangong Tso, Day 5 Pangong Tso to Hanle, Day 6 Hanle to Tso Moriri and Day 7 return to Leh.

Will call Nasir tomorrow. Generally, a verbal confirmation from the taxi driver would suffice as a commitment to provide us service during this time?

Thanks again!

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks a lot Vargis Bhai. So in this case, what do you suggest for the following ways:
Day 3 for Nubra Valley. In the order of priority and logistics, how would you rate the following : 1. Diskit, Hunder (skipping Turtuk based on your advise) or 2. Panamik, Warshi. Based on your map, i think we will have to choose between either sides. Is either option 1 or 2 realistically achievable? Should we plan on leaving Leh at 6 on this day or sooner?
Day 4 Nubra to Pangong Tso, Day 5 Pangong Tso to Hanle, Day 6 Hanle to Tso Moriri and Day 7 return to Leh.

Will call Nasir tomorrow. Generally, a verbal confirmation from the taxi driver would suffice as a commitment to provide us service during this time?

Thanks again!

Amit Bhai Diskit and Hunder have better hotels and are preferred choice of stay by tourists. The sand dunes and camel safari at Hunder is one of the major attractions. On the other hand, Warshi and Panamik are a bit less crowded as most of the people mostly go towards Diskit. There are hotels and guest houses at Panamik as well though.

No need to leave too early. Leh to Diskit is easily doable in 6-7 hours but leave early in terms of reaching there in time to explore around a bit. Rest of the plan will be as you mentioned. Day 4 Nubra to Pangong Tso, Day 5 Pangong Tso to Hanle, Day 6 Hanle to Tso Moriri and Day 7 return to Leh.

Book your stay in advance at both Pangong and Hanle as well. There is a lot of tourist rush in these areas.

Yes, a verbal confirmation from taxi driver usually is enough. Nasir is a reliable person.

Amit Chawla

Amit Bhai Diskit and Hunder have better hotels and are preferred choice of stay by tourists. The sand dunes and camel safari at Hunder is one of the major attractions. On the other hand, Warshi and Panamik are a bit less crowded as most of the people mostly go towards Diskit. There are hotels and guest houses at Panamik as well though.

No need to leave too early. Leh to Diskit is easily doable in 6-7 hours but leave early in terms of reaching there in time to explore around a bit. Rest of the plan will be as you mentioned. Day 4 Nubra to Pangong Tso, Day 5 Pangong Tso to Hanle, Day 6 Hanle to Tso Moriri and Day 7 return to Leh.

Book your stay in advance at both Pangong and Hanle as well. There is a lot of tourist rush in these areas.

Yes, a verbal confirmation from taxi driver usually is enough. Nasir is a reliable person.
Thanks a lot Vargis bhai...this helps!

Amit Chawla

Sorry brother, one additional question regarding our planned Day 2 in Sham Valley. Would it be too ambitious to plan the following: Leh - Magnetic Hill – Pathar Sahib Gurdwara – Indus & Zanskar river Sangam – Likir and Alchi Monastry – Moon landscape? I know you mentioned take it slow the first couple of days. If you recommend we make changes to this trip for day 2, which places would you remove? Thanks in advance

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry brother, one additional question regarding our planned Day 2 in Sham Valley. Would it be too ambitious to plan the following: Leh - Magnetic Hill – Pathar Sahib Gurdwara – Indus & Zanskar river Sangam – Likir and Alchi Monastry – Moon landscape? I know you mentioned take it slow the first couple of days. If you recommend we make changes to this trip for day 2, which places would you remove? Thanks in advance

Yes you can plan that way. Alchi and Likir could be a bit tought because they are a little off-route but rest of the places are doable in a day. Just take an early start from Leh, drive until Lamayuru, have lunch there and return.

Amit Chawla

Dear Vargis bhai..sorry for bothering you again. Allow me to run past an alternate itinerary with you. Instead of going to Pangong Tso on Day 4, is it advisable to go there on Day 3, then go to Nubra on Day 4 and return on Leh on Day 5. Then do Tso Moriri from Leh on Day 6 and return on Leh on Day 7? Reason for doing so - Gives us another day of acclimatization (Day 3) before going to Khardungla (Day 4)? Logistically speaking too, is this better?
Secondly, if we do this, we will have to compromise a night in Hanle and drive straight to Tso Moriri from Leh. Reading up your blog on 3 different routing options, I supposed the shortest one is 6 hours.

Are these two changes worth making both from acclimatization and logistics perspective or would you rather suggest we stay with the original plan?

Yes you can plan that way. Alchi and Likir could be a bit tought because they are a little off-route but rest of the places are doable in a day. Just take an early start from Leh, drive until Lamayuru, have lunch there and return.