The Mystique Land Of Lahaul & Spiti

Discussion in 'Travelogues' started by Vargis Khan, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Vargis Khan

Vargis Khan Administrator Staff Member

We were backtracking towards Karchham, same terrible road that we traveled on yesterday.

road-from-chitkul-to-sangla.JPG

road-from-chitkul-to-sangla-1.JPG

2. Vargis Khan

We did not stop at this temple yesterday while on our way to Chitkul but decided to do so today. Surprisingly, while we were standing there, i did not notice even a single vehicle that crossed and did not stop at the temple making me wonder if i was the only one yesterday who passed without paying respect.

temple-on-chitkul-road.JPG

3. Vargis Khan

We stopped at Sangla to withday cash from an ATM and while we were doing so, i noticed a guy waving at us from the roof of a nearby hotel. As it turned out, he was one of our French friends who, as i suspected, broke their journey yesterday at Sangla. They wanted to go visit Chitkul today and after a brief conversation, it was decided that they will skip Kalpa and catch up with us at Nako tomorrow.

After another cup of tea with the French, we started the ride again and pretty soon have reached Karchham.

karchham-dam.JPG

karchham-dam-1.JPG

4. Vargis Khan

Here i thought that my prayers were finally answered as the road turned from a dirt & stones to super-smooth. But that lasted only for a few kilometres around the Karchham Dam. As soon as we had crossed Karchham, it was again just dirt & stones. But along with that also came the amazing views that made us forget the pain of travelling on such bad roads.

karchham-to-kalpa-1.JPG

karchham-to-kalpa-2.JPG

karchham-to-kalpa-3.JPG

karchham-to-kalpa-4.JPG

5. Vargis Khan

Time to freshen up.

vargis-khan.JPG

6. Vargis Khan

We continued on the main highway towards Pooh and pretty soon had reached Reckong Peo. From here, we once again left the main highway (which we have been doing continously for last 3 days) and started on 10 kms ascent towards Kalpa. After a few kms, we had our first view of Kinner Kailash.

kinner-kailash-2.JPG

kinner-kailash-4.JPG

kinner-kailash-5.JPG

7. Vargis Khan

The circled part in the picture is Shivling, that thousands of pilgrims travel to each year here.

kinner-kailash-6.JPG

8. Vargis Khan

In about an hour we had reached Kalpa and checked into a hotel with an amazing view and very reasonable price. It was only 1 pm so we had plenty of time to go around sightseeing. I asked the hotel owner about places we can visit around here.

"Yahan aas paas aur koi jagah hai?" I asked.

"Suicide point hai, vo sahi rahegi" Was his response.

"Main ghoomne phirne ke liye puchh raha hoon, marne ke liye nahi"

And he laughed.

"Nahi nahi main bhi ghoomne ki hi baat kar raha hoon. Accha view hai vahan se"

Upon his advise we went to visit the so called suicide point, came back to Kalpa for lunch.

kinner-kailash-1.JPG

suicide-point-in-kalpa-1.JPG

suicide-point-in-kalpa-2.JPG

9. Vargis Khan

Noticed this eagle.

eagle-in-kalpa.JPG

10. Vargis Khan

Narender and his monkey business again.

narender-bisht.JPG