Help in planning trip to Zanskar

Ruma

Hello,

We will be traveling in early October to Zanskar and Ladakh.

Here is my tentative plan:

04-Oct Srinagar
05-Oct Kargil
06-Oct Rangdum
07-Oct Padum
08-Oct Padum
09-Oct Kargil
10-Oct Aryan Valley
11-Oct Leh
12-Oct Leh
13-Oct Changma
14-Oct Leh
15-Oct Pangong
16-Oct Hanle
17-Oct Leh
18-Oct Leh
19-Jan Depart

1: I think I am spending too much time in Leh?

2: Do not plan to stay in Srinagar... will travel straight to Kargil.. so gain that one day more.

3: The trek that has been suggested - is it worth it?
Oct 14 : Leh-Stok Palace-Trek to Changma. 3 hours (3650 metres).

After breakfast drive to Stok Palace, visit the Palace and the museum post which we can drive to village head and catch up with our trekking crew and our horses. Our walk today is gentle and easy following the Stok River upstream. The Stok gorge narrows down as we trek up further. Amazing rock Cliff Mountains, ample chances of seeing Himalayan Blue Sheep or Bharal. Enjoy a picnic lunch by the river. As we near our campsite there will be little ascend. Our camp would be surrounded by mountains. Enjoy silence of the campsite. Overnight in tents.

Oct 15 : Trek back to Stok village (3610mts.) You will be woken up by morning call with hot tea or coffee in your tent. Enjoy the morning breakfast in open air or in your dining tent. We ascend to Stok Village at 3610m, The walk is nearly all downhill taking 4 hrs through a dramatic canyon with amazing red sandstone formations. Overnight stay at Hotel.

Please aid me in making this a better trip... your experience and knowledge is what we seek! We have a total of 15 days and would like to trek a bit and see a lot...have been to Ladakh before... till Turtuk and Hanle too. But want to revisit Hanle for the road trip there and its remoteness.

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We will be traveling in early October to Zanskar and Ladakh.

Here is my tentative plan:

04-Oct Srinagar
05-Oct Kargil
06-Oct Rangdum
07-Oct Padum
08-Oct Padum
09-Oct Kargil
10-Oct Aryan Valley
11-Oct Leh
12-Oct Leh
13-Oct Changma
14-Oct Leh
15-Oct Pangong
16-Oct Hanle
17-Oct Leh
18-Oct Leh
19-Jan Depart

1: I think I am spending too much time in Leh?

2: Do not plan to stay in Srinagar... will travel straight to Kargil.. so gain that one day more.

3: The trek that has been suggested - is it worth it?
Oct 14 : Leh-Stok Palace-Trek to Changma. 3 hours (3650 metres).

After breakfast drive to Stok Palace, visit the Palace and the museum post which we can drive to village head and catch up with our trekking crew and our horses. Our walk today is gentle and easy following the Stok River upstream. The Stok gorge narrows down as we trek up further. Amazing rock Cliff Mountains, ample chances of seeing Himalayan Blue Sheep or Bharal. Enjoy a picnic lunch by the river. As we near our campsite there will be little ascend. Our camp would be surrounded by mountains. Enjoy silence of the campsite. Overnight in tents.

Oct 15 : Trek back to Stok village (3610mts.) You will be woken up by morning call with hot tea or coffee in your tent. Enjoy the morning breakfast in open air or in your dining tent. We ascend to Stok Village at 3610m, The walk is nearly all downhill taking 4 hrs through a dramatic canyon with amazing red sandstone formations. Overnight stay at Hotel.

Please aid me in making this a better trip... your experience and knowledge is what we seek! We have a total of 15 days and would like to trek a bit and see a lot...have been to Ladakh before... till Turtuk and Hanle too. But want to revisit Hanle for the road trip there and its remoteness.

How will you be traveling?

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Hello,

We plan to hire an Innova or any of the SUVs there...I believe I will need different cars from Srinagar to Kargil and then another for Zanskar?

Correct. You will have to different taxis from Srinagar, Kargil and then in Leh.
One day in Padum is sufficient unless you plan to trek to Phugtal Monastery. If not, then take one day from here and use elsewhere.
Same applies for Leh as well. Just spend one day in the city there, another for your trek and then go to Nubra Valley. Spend rest of the time there exploring Diskit, Hunder, Turtuk and Panamik.