Likkir Village Acclimatisation for Leh/Ladakh trip

preet

Hi Vargis, we are a family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids who are 10 yrs old). We are planning to visit Leh, Ladakh in the last week of Jan, 2022...perhaps a 6 - 7 day trip. Wanted to check if it makes sense heading straight to Likkir village from the airport for a 2 - 3 days stay at one of the home-stays and then back to Leh for the rest of the trip I understand we need time to acclimatise coming from Mumbai and Likir might be at a lower altitude. However I am thinking this place won't have any medical outposts in case of emergencies. So would it be better to stay in Leh first and then move to Likkir or other such places......do guide. Thanks, Preet

Vargis Khan

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Vargis, we are a family of 4 ( 2 adults and 2 kids who are 10 yrs old). We are planning to visit Leh, Ladakh in the last week of Jan, 2022...perhaps a 6 - 7 day trip. Wanted to check if it makes sense heading straight to Likkir village from the airport for a 2 - 3 days stay at one of the home-stays and then back to Leh for the rest of the trip I understand we need time to acclimatise coming from Mumbai and Likir might be at a lower altitude. However I am thinking this place won't have any medical outposts in case of emergencies. So would it be better to stay in Leh first and then move to Likkir or other such places......do guide. Thanks, Preet

Hi Preet - Your apprehension is correct. Do not go to a remote area, especially in such cold weather. You should stay in Leh City to acclimatize so that if you need medical help, you have a hospital nearby.